The Buyer is responsible for selecting and negotiating with approved vendors and placing purchase order in response to material requirements typically established by the inventory planning function. Determine quantity and order date for materials needed to meet master production schedule. Follows up with vendors regarding order status and vendor performance. Conduct benchmarking for price, quality, response time, and delivery reliability.
|Essential Job Functions
- Review Order Action Report and place purchase orders to meet generated requirements.
- Review minimum order quantity and part lead times and adjust as needed.
- Measure and evaluate vendor performance.
- Make recommendations to management regarding vendor performance.
- Coordinate with accounts payable and shipping/receiving regarding billing or returns to ensure records accuracy.
- Interface with sales/marketing as required to coordinate required changes to delivery status of committed product.
- Review open order report daily to insure vendors meet committed delivery dates.
- Provide input and participate in review of vendor performance.
|Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Must have strong written and oral communication skills; must be able to read, comprehend written correspondence and reports; must be able to communicate with multiple levels of staff throughout the organization.
- Must have effective interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks. Strong ability to pay attention to details. Ability to work without much supervision.
- Position requires exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects.
- Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time.
- BS degree in Business, Supply Chain or related field from a regionally accredited university.
- 5 years Purchasing Background
- 3 years in a Manufacturing environment.